Friday 31 August 2012


My ski trip with the Jackson family at Cardrona

 As my alarm clock sounds at 5.30am. I wake up abruptly.  I was just having a great dream about how my family and the Jackson family were skiing together and then I remembered that in 2 hours time we were going to get on a plane to go to Queenstown to ski on the mountain called Cardrona.

As I whip my clothes on throw my backpack over my back and run out the door down to the car.  As the motor of our starts and he rumble off up our drive into a very quiet Remuera.  Finally after what felt forever we arrive at the airport.  Dad gets our tickets from the machine and put our luggage on the conveyerbelt.  Then over the loud speaker they say the flight to queenstown please go to your gate. As we sore into the sky and the clouds embrace us.  Then there was a massive thud then the hostess said “we have now landed”.  I couldn’t remember anything that happened on the flight I must have fallen asleep.  As we collected our luggage and got the key to the rental car and set of up to the mountain.

When we reached the carpark we found a park. Then we put our ski gear on and carried our skis and poles over to Whitestar. Whitestar is the fastest of the four chairlifts and has the hardest slopes.

As we all put our skies on and then we set of down the slope my boots felt really weird so we had to stop about 5 times to adjust them to the comfortable tightness. Finally after a lot of adjusting my boots they felt fine.  After a few runs I was starting to get that feeling back.

We had been skiing for 2 hours and now and it was 3 o’clock. We had an hour of skiing left. We did a few more runs then the lifty said that it was last run to us so we set off to the face that was going to take us back to our apartment. When we got back to the apartment we all had showers and put fresh clothes on. It was a great day on the mountain!


The next day the Jackson arrived. Because the Jackson’s had only skied 2 days they had to go to ski school. The night before we had gone out for dinner and it had snowed. The snowflakes were massive it was an awesome site. So the next day we woke up really early to ski the first tracks in the powder it was amazing it was really fun to ski.

The next day the Jackson’s did Ski school again our family went to look for jumps to do tricks on. We practice them a lot and by the end of the day we had mastered a few tricks. These are tricks we can do from a stationery potion jump up and do a 180,Go over a jump and in mid air flick the backs of your skies to 70 degree turn, The other two are to point your tips down, and to also pull your tips up over jump. It was very fun to practice and master them it’s a great achievement for us.


Finally after 2 days of ski school the Jackson’s could come over to captains with us Which is the 2 hardest slope and the 2 fastest chair. We meet up with the Bashford’s as well. We had a jump contest I won 1 and max won the other on. We all raced up and down the hill and Sam, Emily and I all went as a group while Max, Thomas and Harry went as another. Sam and Thomas had a few wipe-outs. We went on this run called the Toilet bowl. We all had a lot of fun together. We did this for 2 days and then we had to off drive he mountain and go to Queenstown.

The Next day we went to the Skyline luge and had lunch at a buffet restaurant. The luge is a cart with no motor and you take it down a track. The lunch was great. I had so much yummy food I managed to eat 3 plats of main and 1 plate of dessert. After lunch we went back down the gondola and drove to the airport and said goodbye to the Jackson’s. Then they got on to their plane and flew back to Auckland.

That was my trip with the Jackson’s.  
Flynn Dudson

3 comments:

  1. Three mains and one dessert?! You must have worked up quite an appetite with all that skiing Flynn! I really enjoyed reading your recount of your week with the Jackson's skiing. I'd love to see some footage of you practicing your jumps!
    The way you have organised your ideas into paragraphs helped, as you have written such a lot! It would be a bit daunting if it was all in one great chunk. I enjoyed it when I could tell you had really enjoyed yourself; I can almost see the look of glee on your face as you tell this recount!
    Which mountain/s were you skiing on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool!!! That must have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the message but how sent it
      Flynn Dudson

      Delete